Thursday, April 26, 2007

What is a Home?


A roof to keep out the rain. Four walls to keep out the wind. Floors to keep out the cold. Yes, But home is more than that. It is the laugh of a baby, the song of a mother, the strength of a father. Warmth of loving hearts, light from happy eyes, kindness, loyalty, comradeship. Home is first school, and first church for young ones, where they learn what is right, what is good, and what is kind. Where they go for comfort when they are hurt or sick. Where joy is shared and sorrow eased. Where fathers and mothers are respected and loved. Where children are wanted. Where the simplest food is good enough for kings because it is earned. Where money is not so important as loving-kindness. Where even the teakettle sings from happiness . That is home. God bless it.

Ernestine Schuman-Heink

22 comments:

  1. Lovely reminders, Tracy. Thank you for sharing this. Lately I've been busy and preoccupied with duties not relating to home (catering the spring formal and graduation..and now Wendy's wedding). I need to take a few steps back and do what's really important. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, Tracy. And it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to start my day. Thank you for sharing it with us, Tracy!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely quote! I'm so glad I finally popped in, Tracy. I see you here and there - everywhere - (lol) - blogging about that is. :o) I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful reminder to start the day.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Trella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jodi,
    Welcome to my "home". So glad that you came for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very neat. I love that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true. Tracy do you find Bloglines helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara,

    I do find bloglines to be helpful. I am a *clean* person, and I didn't like an endless list of blogs that I like to read *cluttering* up the sidebar of my blog. Also, I'm very aware of other's feelings. I wonder...I'm sure that others are thrilled when they see the name of their blog on someone's sidebar, BUT are some people's feelings hurt if their title is not on a sidebar?

    For all of those reasons, I use bloglines to subscribe to MANY blogs. I keep my list private. I have my bloglines page bookmarked, and can easily visit all of my blog friends straight from there.

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the lovely reminder. I feel sad that so many do not have a "home" but just a house. Home is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome, LBP! Please come again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Came to visit from Barbara's. I love what you posted today. We all know there is such a difference between a house and a home. Your post sums it up well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful reminder that one should always reflect on each day.

    Thank you for your kind comments and as to the question - it all depends on what system your son would be using (i.e. mac or win)also pc or laptop - if he checks his systems tools - this should show the way. Hope this helps.

    Blessings to you all

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautful post! I love stories and poems and sayings about home. Your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tracy,
    Just wanted to say I love your new header!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes I think that helps. Does that mean that the sites you like let yu know when something new is posted? Do y ouhave to list the sites you like just like on sidebars?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Tracy, I love that. All things I am sure that we all think about but have never worded so beautifully. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan and Rosemary,

    Thank you for visitng me, and leaving kind comments. please come back soon!

    Barbara,

    You must open a bloglines account, and subscribe to the blogs that you like. It is very much the same as adding the links to your sidebar. Let me know if you need more help.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like this! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so beautiful. It captures the idea exactly, of what a HOME is. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so true, very inspiring also. Thanks for sharing!

    MrsA
    http://countrylifejourney.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mrs. A,
    I'm glad that you enjoyed this. Thank you for visting me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy