Thursday, August 9, 2007

Show and Tell Friday

Welcome to Show and Tell Friday! For more sharing, visit Kelli at There's No Place Like Home.



I haven't been able to participate in many weeks, but what I have to share with you is near to my heart. I'm the only girl in my family, and the only grand-daughter on my dad's side. One time I was spending a week with my dad's parents during the summer. Pap(Dad's dad) asked for someone to help him cut the grass. My three brothers and two male cousins stated that it was too hot, and they didn't want to. They went fishing instead. I helped Pap with all of the yard work, and then we washed his truck. At the end of the day, when all of the boys came back around, he pulled a pocket knife out of his pocket, and handed it to me. He said that was my payment for helping him all day. The boys all protested. "What was a girl going to do with a pocketknife?" "They didn't know they were going to get something." Pap winked at me, and said, "She didn't know she was going to get something either, but she helped me anyway."



I was probably around 13 when I received that knife. I wonder if Pap remembers that he gave it to me?

38 comments:

  1. How sweet. What a treasure in deed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing lesson. My question is "did the boys learn a lesson from this?"

    Neat pocketknife!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you still keep that knife. Is your Pap still alive so that you may ask him if he remembers that gift?

    By the way, I don't think one of your brothers or cousins would still have (and treasure) it now if they had got it.... ;-))))

    Best wishes from Germany,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it! How funny! I wonder if those boys learned their lesson that day? I enjoyed hearing this sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT is a great story!! Good for you, that you stuck around and helped. I know that knife is a cherished possession.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracy, how biblical this story sounds! Good for you and I hope you have kept that attitude - but then I guess you have the pen knife to remind you.

    Blessings and bliss
    from Miss Eagle in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful lesson and fond memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story behind the photo!!

    Great show and tell!! Mine's posted too. About an 'antique' keyboard of mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet story, and with a moral too! I'm sure you treasure this pocket knife as much (if not more) than any old boy would.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this story and I can only imagine what that knife means to you! You showed your loving heart at a very early age, Tracy!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story!
    Blessings,
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful story and a great treasure from your grandpap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful heartwarming story behind that pocket knife!! I'm the only girl with 4 brothers and quite often I remember helping my dad out with something because the boys didn't want to:-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. THat is so sweet, what a wonderful grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tracy,
    What a smart Pap you have! That is a wonderful story and I think it's great that you got that pocket knife. Just a side note I really like your blog header. Very cool!
    http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was sweet of your grandfather.
    I'm sure it is a treasure to you indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could find a million uses for a pocket knife. I usually have one on my key chain!! Great show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the story. It is a good lesson to pass on to others.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very sweet, and a good lesson, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing grandfather...
    What a treasured memory...
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, Love, Love this story!! What a true treasure!

    Lana G!
    http://airmiles.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I imagine every time you see that pocket knife you remember that wonderful, hot day working side by side with your grandfather. What a wonderful memory! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. People of your grandfather's generation had a way of teaching children life's lessons that was never forgotten by those kids. Today's children would just be cross with him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It always pays to be helpful and a giver at heart. That is a beautiful treasure and memory!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a sweet story! That makes this a priceless treasure.

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a nice treasure. I love the story. Pap taught a lesson that day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A great story and a great memory! And I agree with Anita's comment about your brothers and cousins - certainly they would have lost the knife by now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That was such a sweet story, Tracy! I read it to Grace and Emily and we all enjoyed it! I'm glad you still have this treasure!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  29. how wonderful!! Reminds me of my grandaddy who would annswer every question no matter I was girl or not. Thanks for coming by my place!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a treasure! My grandfather always carries a pocketknife as well. It's one of those items that doesn't have much material value, yet the sentimental joy it brings is unmeasurable!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wise grandfather!
    And wise woman (even at 13!)

    Who gets it next? Do you have sons?

    Neat story!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, my boys would love yo snag that up in a heartbeat!

    0:) Amber

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for visiting my blog this week and leaving me a sweet comment. I'm so far behind on visiting other blogs but I do read and treasure each comment and try my best to return the blessing.

    May you enjoy the weekend!
    ~Tamara
    www.TrainingHearts.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's so cool. I bet you'll keep it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a special gift. I know you cherish it. My father and grandfather always had a pocketknife with them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your story reminds me of the Little Red Hen story. ;0) I bet it's a lesson they didn't forget! Gordon has his Dad's pocketknife now, and is very proud of it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy