Friday, August 24, 2007

Show and Tell Friday

Head over to Kelli's for more Show and Tell stories.

Some of you may have already seen what I am going to show today if you visit my recipe blog.

I posted earlier in the week about Collin making pizzelles. These are an Italian cookie. You can buy them in the grocery store, but they are never as good as homemade. What I really want you to see though is my vintage pizzelle maker. Read through the post to enjoy the photos, and grab the recipe while you are at it!

Don't be afraid by the quantities of the ingredients in this recipe. It makes a ton of cookies!
Pizzelles are Italian cookies. Have you ever tried the ones in the grocery store? They aren't HALF as good as these ones are. You must have a pizzelle iron to make them. Mine is a vintage avocado green. Grandma brought it along when she came to live with us. Boy am I glad!

We make this recipe alot. Today, Collin was the pastry chef. He did a great job!

Pizzelles

1 dozen eggs
1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. anise oil (not extract!) You may have to buy this in the pharmacy.
1/4 tsp. salt
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Beat eggs in a large bowl. Mix in sugar, anise oil, salt, flour, baking powder, and butter. Add 1 tsp. onto the hot pizzelle iron. Cookies should be very lightly browned. Remove from iron, and cool on wire rack.

32 comments:

  1. I did see this on your recipe blog but I don't think i commented. One of my favorite all time Christmas treats were these cookies with hot tea, all through the season.

    My friend who lives in central IL is Italian, and she makes them every year. Since I no longer live there I do not get them. But oh, what a great memory to re-visit.

    I love the anise flavor with the tea on the side. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting. I never heard of them but I bet they are yummy!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting appliance. Those look yummy.

    To answer you question of where's my ring that was in the trinket box? I still have the setting, but we have since had the diamonds reset because the old band wore thin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is interesting. I've never seen a machine like that nor heard of those cookies.
    They do look yummy though.

    Have a wonderful and blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna,
    Thay are 5" across!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat! I've never seen one of those or even had that kind of cookie. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my grandparents make these when we visit them!!! I LOVE them and would love to get a maker and be able to make them myself!

    Grandma made them with lemon or anise flavor...both are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not ever made or eaten these. Where have I been?
    They look delicious, and I love that they're made on a "vintage" appliance! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great machine. Wish I could hop on over and have a Pizelle with you..
    blessings
    http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have only had the pleasure of homemade a couple of times, but you are right, they are out of this world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are BEAUTIFUL!
    I've never had them, but I've had a similar Dutch cookie that has a layer of caramel-y something sandwiched between. You put them on top of your mug of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so cool!! I've never heard of them - I'll have to start paying more attention at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had homemade ones. They are delicious.

    Do you have relatives that live in the Daytona Beach area? You look so much like someone I know down there. You could be her younger sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM. Those are some of the most beautiful cookies I've seen! I bet they are delicious as well

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is sooo neat. I love the design in the machine. I never heard of them you'd think I would be married to an Italian guy..... You certainy are welcome to send some my way. hee hee. See ya soon.

    Mica

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are so cool. I have never heard of them but they are very pretty. What a neat machine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay!!! I grew up in an Italian home, and we had those all the time--I am going to take a picture of my Grandmas cookie press--how fun. I have never met anyone else that made these cookies--they are so yummy!

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are new to me but they are so pretty and I'm sure they are delicious......

    Come to see me and you can ride my bike....Betty

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are so pretty! I love the pizella maker.

    We once had a fridge that was avocado green-not a bad color :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had never heard of these before. How neat!

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  21. YEAH!!!! Thank you so much for the recipe, I received one of these last Christmas and I have yet to use it, I have no excuse now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Didn't know if you'd come back to the Tourists comments.

    Don't worry, you're in the normal 90%.....Just Vacationing :-)

    I'm with you...Ocracoke (no matter how cute) is not worth a 3 hr. wait and then an hour travel time! I can't believe they actually do it.

    Praying for your grandmother.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  23. PS~

    If I recall, part of your vacation was in May. That puts you in that laid back relaxed group that's just vacationing. :-)

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmm, I bet they are very tasty! Great appliance!

    Thank you for your comment on my blog!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are so pretty, Tracy! They sound delicious too!

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fun to be able to make such a pretty cookie. Have to check out pizzelle makers!

    Lana G!
    http://airmiles.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok, this is NOT fair!! Every other blog I've visited this morning has some great recipe printed or linked to. Ugh!!! I have promised myself not to collect any new ones for awhile. These sure do look enticing though! You commented to me that you keep your recipes on line so you don't have to print them off. Do you have a lap-top or computer in your kitchen that you check the recipe on? Just wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  28. And they are incredibly good dipped in iced tea!
    I love these. And I love the color of the pizzelle maker too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! 1 dozen eggs! They look so pretty though. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  30. enjoyed your blog...especially the recipes!the lady on your recipe button looks just like your picture!
    I be back and thanks for stoppin' by!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those are so pretty to look at - I bet they're beautiful on a plate. I'm not sure I'd let anyone eat them.

    I also love that avocado green! Thank you for sharing the recipe and your pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy