Thursday, August 30, 2007

Show & Tell Friday: An Antique Suitcase


Welcome to Show and Tell Friday. To read more stories, please visit Kelli at There's No Place Like Home.



Today I'd like to show you an antique suitcase that was given to me a few years ago. No one is exactly sure who the suitcase belonged to, but they know it was someone in my husband, Verne's, family. Some say it was his Great Grandma Love's. Some say it may have been her mother, Grandma Reynold's. And some think that it may have been his grandmother's sister, Aunt Grace's. No matter whom it belonged to in the past, I am happy to have it today.

We live 500 miles from most of our family.
Two years ago, Verne's mom and Aunt Debbie came for a visit. Debbie was carrying this suitcase, and I was silently envying it. Being an antique lover, I thought of the many possibilities
for it if it were my own.

Debbie saw me looking at it, and later told Verne's mom that she was a little embarrassed because I probably thought she was very strange to be carrying this old suitcase around. Verne's mom said that she thought I was probably just admiring it.



As they went to leave a few days later, I commented to Deb that I loved her suitcase. I had no idea that she had been embarrassed. I asked her where she got it. This is where the confusion about who it belonged to came in.

A few months later, we drove back to Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving. Debbie walked in carrying the suitcase, and said that it should be mine, since I loved it and she felt awkward carrying it. I was thrilled!

The leather on the outside is a little rough, and is loose in places. The inside has one stain, but it is otherwise in very good condition, and has no odor despite its age.







It is a Samsonite. There are ribbons inside to keep your clothing from shifting, and there is a divider that snaps between the top and the bottom.











I even have the original key for it!













The suitcase is proudly displayed in my living room, on top of the entertainment center. I love the way it looks there. I'm glad to have a piece of history from my husband's family!

41 comments:

  1. What a neat old suitcase! How generous of her to give it to you!

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat! Like your layout!

    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this suitcase is a real family treasure, indeed! I am glad your husband did not gave it way!

    I was quite "shocked" when I just read Kelli's story on her wonderful quilt. I can't believe that the lady at the yard store gave way that heirloon that was sewn by her husband's aunt.

    Warm wishes from cold Germany, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, the suitcase is carefully loved and absolutely beautiful! It has a well suited home to be further loved in, Tracy. :o)

    I found a vintage suitcase at a thrift shop - grabbed it for $3. It holds sewing supplies and vintage lace and ric-rak. A friend of mine has 3, 1 stacked on top of the other. Inside are her cd's and dvd's. Creative spaces for modern things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! How nice that she recognized that you would love it and take care of it!

    You just can't beat Samsonite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you proudly display it. It is great! blessings...
    http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy, your little suitcase is a darling treasure and as we always say in our family "it was ment to be yours" to love and to treasure for always.

    It would be lovely to find out the whole story behind it and I am sure you would too, Your husbands family sound wonderful people.

    Lee-ann ~ Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a wonderful story. The suitcase looks very much at home now...

    Take care,
    Connie

    Mine is up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My high school graduation present from my parents was a medium size piece of PINK Samsonite luggage. My mother had a larger piece in Turquoise. Sure wish I'd held on to one or both of them. Yours are lovely.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...and you placed it in such an ideal area!!

    My show n tell is shared

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything old and with a history! Would never give up on any of the family treasure... well unless as a gift to someone from the family, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful piece. You just can't help but wonder at all the places that suitcase has traveled and all the dreams it has furthered along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Decorative and useful. Great story with it too. That was generous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tracy, I like suitcase....maybe because it looks so much like the luggage my husband went off to college with....I have it displayed along with other old pieces.....

    I've added to my Show and Tell since I posted at midnight...you might be interested in the addition....Betty

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome suitcase, Tracy. I love those kinds of things...older, meaningful, and it looks PERFECT on top of your entertainment center.

    I once saw three antique suitcases stacked up as a side table. My husband and I scour antique and thrift shops now and then searching for ones we can use for that purpose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome suitcase and neat story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great old suitcase that's even more special since it belonged to someone in the family! I love how you have it displayed.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. That suitcase is beautiful! I wish I had my grandmother's suitcase. She always brought an old, old one whenever she came to stay with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. In my early 30s I got rid of old suitcases, and now really regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That old suit case is very neat! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    Glad you have it in a spot where you can enjoy looking at it everyday.

    Have a blessed weekend!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a special treasure and I agree, it looks lovely where you display it!

    I think I forgot to comment yesterday about your new blog look - I really like it. I like the header graphics that site offers - very fun!

    btw, I'm gonna be listening to your tunes again today!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful old suitcase. It is truely a treasure. I'm so glad it found it's home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love antiques, too! How sweet that she gave it to you...love it!

    (Enjoyed visiting your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the suitcase, too... it evokes images of Anne of Green Gables! You could pretend while you're carrying it... "here I am, at the train station, smelling like 'lemon verbena' and swishing my way through the crowds..." :)
    You have found the perfect place for it, too! Home decorating is fun, but it's so much homey-er when the items have significance. What a sweet gift!
    Thanks for stopping by today,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like most of us around here like to 'old' things.
    I looks like it sit exactly here it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How sweet of her to give it to you! It's very much like the white one my mother in love has. I have a friend who found 3 different sizes like yours (brown) and stacked them for an awesome looking side table. Great storage place, too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a very neat keepsake. And I love the new look of your site. So perfectly simple. And perectly end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mrs. K,
    Wow, that is really cool! I love antique things too! That was nice of her to give it to you!
    That's funny though. Because as much as I've been over to your house, I had never noticed the suitcase being on top of the entertainment center. lol
    I guess it is because I am short. I never thought to look up there. :)
    ~Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  29. that is such a sweet story and that she ended up giving it to you. now don't let it go. Very nice too!!

    Mica

    ReplyDelete
  30. VERY COOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice story and suitcase! I have a similar one that I display on top of our TV armoire!

    "If suitcases could talk!!"

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  32. It really does look very nice on your entertainment center. :)

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great pictures of the old suitcase.I do think that it belonged to Great Aunt grace Anderson(Grandpa Love's sister)and she probably gave it to Grandma Love.Anyway it now looks right at home in your home.Love you,Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love old things! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  35. How funny that your sister in law was embarrassed of that fantastic suitcase!

    I'm like you, I would have been admiring it too :o) Old treasures like that get my mind wondering... I wonder where in the world that suitcase has gone over the years?

    Hope you have a great Labor Day Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, that is really a neat item to have. You can store stuff in it to hide. =)

    I have an old chest with a pull out shelf that was my Great-Grandmas. I keep treasures in it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Brings back so many memories! My grandmother had the very same one, very same color. I used to love it when she'd come for a viait and I got to carry in the suitcase, while my brother got to bring in the matching cosmetic bag. :-)

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is a wonderful treasure, Tracy! I'm so glad that Aunt Debbie gave it to you!

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  39. That's a BEAUTIFUL suitcase! We collect antique luggage, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh how neat! Old suitcases, as funny as it sounds, have so much more character than the ones of today. I love it, and I think you found the perfect spot for it! Hope you have a wonderful Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy