Friday, February 1, 2008

Show and Tell Friday:Little Bits of Wisdom


I'm an avid reader, but I grew up in a home with few books. We had a set of encyclopedias, dictionaries, and just a few picture books. I still have one of them. This book is near and dear to my heart. It was given to be my grandma, who now lives with me!

I don't think that it was purchased for me, as its copyright is 1967, and I wasn't born until 1970. I do know that Grandma is a big fan of Hallmark, and that's where this book came from.


I remember sitting up against a wall, gazing at the pictures, and reading the short poems and sayings for hours on end until I had them memorized. The pictures transported me to a faraway place, where girls wore dresses, and manners were used.


The sayings in this book have stuck with me for years, and I quote them often to my children.


Of a little take a little, you're kindly welcome, too. Of a little leave a little, 'tis manners so to do.

Patience is a virtue, Virtue is a grace; Both put together make a very pretty face.

What you would seem to be, be really.

He that would live in peace and at ease, Must not speak all he knows, nor judge all he sees.

I even wrote my name inside the front cover. I'm guessing it was written when I was in second or third grade.

Thanks for stopping by! For more Show and Tell, be sure to visit Kelli at There's No Place Like Home.


post signature

17 comments:

  1. What a neat keepsake. I love old books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely book - the pictures are absolutely adorable! Nothing is better than books is it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy! I was born in 1970 too :o)

    The book is absolutely precious.

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old books and this one is so cute. (o: Seeing your childish signature made me smile too. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, Tracy, I have that book too!
    I received for a birthday~ I think it was my fourth!
    Wishing you a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a precious book, and even nicer b/c you have the memories to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful. I love the bits of wisdom you shared from it, especially the "of a little"
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great book to have from your childhood :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet! I remember books from my childhood with such clarity! I was an avid reader even then! Thanks for sharing!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love old books!! I think the book publishers should go back and print some of these old kids books, don' you?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great and special book, Tracy. Thanks for sharing a couple of the lines. Very good.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pictures in older
    books, they are sooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful book! It must be neat to have something like that from when you were a child.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always loved picture books like this when I was growing up. How sweet this book is for you to pass to your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet little book! I love books and have just a few of the ones from when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love old books...especially with those neat, colorful pictures. Your autography makes it extra special, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful treasure, Tracy! The quotes are darling, as well as the pictures. Just beautiful!
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy