Sunday, April 27, 2008

Delegating

As the children grow older, new tasks are given to them, little by little. This helps them to learn new skills while building their confidence.

Our family drinks gallons of iced (sweet) tea. About a month ago, I taught Abigail to make it. It's become a daily chore for her, and she excels at it. Isn't it funny how everyone can use the same recipe but each person's end result is different?

You can find the recipe at Mama's Fixins. (If I'm out of family sized tea bags, I use 7 or 8 regular tea bags.

19 comments:

  1. I try to give the kids new chores and tasks to learn, it helps to build their confidence and lighten the load on mom too! :0) It is so true about the same recipe tasting different when someone else makes it. I remember when I made my first Thanksgiving dinner, I was so disappointment because it didn't taste like my mom's food!
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. note to self: get kids to do more work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for her. We actually have an "ice tea maker" and still don't make it! I need to start doing that more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that ice tea weather is here. For some reason, we only drink it in the spring and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true!

    My ice tea never tastes like my Moms, and Rich's tea never tastes like mine --- but we all "say" we do the same things :o)

    I'm sure Abigail loves learning new things from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one of the first tasks my mother gave me as a little girl. "Go make the tea!"

    I will never forget it...mainly because I am still making the tea 20 years later. :)

    -Kittee

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was sure toasty in my neck of the woods today, with a splash of humidity. Unseasonably warm in the west. I could have sure gone for a tall glass of iced tea. Mmmm.

    Oh. The mystery has been revealed. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My 11yo daughter is the chocolate cake maker in our home. She does such a marvelous job that I'm not allowed near it now...not that I can't or that hers is better...but why stop her from doing what she loves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's funny, my son makes the best tea too! I drink de-caff because caffeine gives me palpitations and most de-caff tea is yucky. My son has a knack for making my tea taste almost as good as the real thing...hooray!

    I think it's great to encourage kids to help out.

    Love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't that so true, I have tried others iced tea and they make it the exact same way and you know what, it tastes totally different. Go figure!

    Well so I guess I should delegate this to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ability to delegate is the sign of a good manager! ;o) I find (and I'm sure you have, too) that children actually like to help around the house; they enjoy knowing that they are an integral part of family life.

    And I *do* love a big glass of iced tea! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My oldest child is so self-motivated to be helpful that I find myself kind of clueless about how to motivate the other two...

    ReplyDelete
  13. WTG, Abigail!!! I am always impressed how choose and delegate chores to your children which in turn helps them to be more responsible and prepared for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You said:

    "Isn't it funny how everyone can use the same recipe but each person's end result is different?

    I've often thought the same thing. (o:

    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're a good mom..teaching them young....
    That is so true about a recipe...
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  16. We consume VAST amounts of sweet tea in our house, too. And, from the looks of that picture, we make it the same way.

    AND, just like you said, no one's ever tastes the same and we all use the same recipe.

    Did I just repeat your entire post? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could you share your recipe?

    The Goons actually enjoys setting the table (3 &5 yrs old) and if I do it instead they get terribly upset. It is important to instill good work habits while they are little!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Geat idea to give the kids more responsibility!!I love your blog!I also love mamas fixins!!when you get a minute stop by my blog!!There is an award for you!!Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Tracy - I've been out of pocket and just now getting around to reading my blogs. Just wanted to say "hi".
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy