Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Blackberries


We've been keeping a close eye on the blackberries, not wanting to lose them to the birds. Last night after supper, Abigail and Verne were determined to pick enough berries to make a pie. They not only picked from the back of our property, but from the local cow pasture. That is determination!

They came back with 5 cups. Just enough to fill a good sized pie!


Abigail and I set to work making a Blackberry-Sour Cream Pie.


And then I made cookies from the leftover crust!



23 comments:

  1. Oh those look delicious Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! I'm off to check out the recipe for the pie - have you ever substituted other berries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is too weird! Last night, I had a few cups of blackberries, and the first place I came looking for a recipe was Mama's Fixins. :) You didn't have one (yet!), but it was funny to visit you this morning and see that you were doing the same thing as I was last night! And you posted a recipe for blackberries! Just a little too late, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blackberries grow crazy here..in fact a town close by has a Blackberry festival...my sister and husband and their family pick gallons of them...no where they get the best ones...the parking lot foliage of our local *coroner*....makes you think, huh?
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh Ann,

    I've not used other berries, bit I think you'd be successful with raspberries or blueberries.

    Jordin,

    That IS weird! Well, next time, you know where to come!

    Deby,

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, Tracy! Did you save me a piece?

    Blackberries are super expensive here and they never go on sale. Maybe raspberries would work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks delicious! We've been picking blueberries and having those lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blackberry pie is one of our favourites but I haven't had any in years! Yours looks delicious and you're so fortunate that they grow close by :o)

    Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to take a poll (raspberries vs blueberries) and let you know if we make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum!
    I know what you mean about the birds. I try to beat them to my fig bush early in the mornings.
    You must make a huge batch of pie dough. I never get that many cookies (we call them cinnamon rolls here).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum that pie looks delish, Tracy! I have a happy sweet tooth and the amount of sugar used atop the crust is thrilling my teeth about now. :o)

    Mind if I take 3 cookies for the road?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, almost forgot to ask -

    - will you share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! That pie and the cookies look beautiful and delicious, Tracy!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That pie looks fantastic! My husband loves pie, and I rarely make it for him....terrible I know. Maybe I will need to surprise him!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's not a lot I miss about our time of owning the Bed & Breakfast and the accompanying 12 acres. But I DO miss the wonderful blackberry patch we had.

    That pie looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just saw a recipe for blueberry pie on the news this morning that had sour cream in it, and a lattice crust top. They said it tastes kind of like cheesecake. Does your recipe? I have several family members that are HUGE cheesecake fans.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen,
    I don't really think it tastes like cheesecake. (Of course, I only ate a very tiny bite) I'd think it would need cream cheese for that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious! Our blackberries are not ripe yet but I can't wait for a good blackberry pie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wait wait wait - your blackberries are ready NOW? Ours won't be out until the end of AUGUST! And then we only get a few handfuls!

    Great pie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Our blackberry season is in late May, but they did not do well this year. I think it was the drought that did them in.

    And we use the leftover crust for cookies too. We call them ... interestingly enough ... pie cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. beautiful! absolutely beautiful! want to come and take a bite!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy