Monday, August 18, 2008

Quick Skirts



Supplies needed:
one pair of jeans or shorts
1-1 1/2 yards fabric
thread
rotary cutter and mat
straight edge such as a quilting square

Pre-wash your fabric, and depending on desired length cut fabric into two equal pieces. You can cut the fabric on the fold line OR for a fuller skirt/bigger size, cut the fabric cut you length in two.

Sew sides together. Hem bottom with a narrow half inch hem. Gather the top of the fabric.

Lay your jeans or shorts carefully on the cutting mat, making sure that the waist line is even on a cutting mark, and there are no wrinkles in the denim. Carefully cut straight across the denim about 1 inch below the zipper.

Placing right sides together, pin the fabric to the jeans, gathering the fabric to the denim. Stitch. You may want to stitch twice with a straight seam, or zigzag the edges.

Done!




14 comments:

  1. Our co-op is starting soon and I am teaching sewing class. This will be perfect for the girls to make! Thanks, Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute skirt, Tracy! Check my post of 11/5/07 for another cute skirt made from old jeans. I don't wear jeans, but I love these!
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are SO cute. I bet a little toddler girls version would be adorable, too. I wonder if I could make one for my niece? Maybe I'll get brave and try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute!! =)

    JENN

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are adorable! I think my girls would love them. Thanks for the cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! I have seen those in the stores and thought I could probably make it myself. Thanks for the how to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh, that's adorable--and the fabric is so happy:)

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a neat idea!
    (oh and I've started blogging again now that sprout is 3 mths!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tracy, what a neat idea for a pair of old jeans. The teens in our church would love these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THat is SO much fun! The Girl wants to make a jean skirt too, except hers is cut down the seam with fabric panels sewn in....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are too cute, Tracy! The prints are very fun!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are very pretty, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy