Saturday, August 2, 2008

Waste Not, Want Not


I keep driving past an apple tree that has spilled its burden into the road. 'Some of those apples must be usable', I keep thinking. I sent my three youngest on an excursion last evening to check on those same apples. "Knock on the door of the house, and ask if you may gather those that have fallen", they were told. No one was home. Not wanting to trespass the property, they stuck strictly to the side of the road, and not the yard, but came home with a decent amount of apples just the same. Many were bruised, some were not truly ripe.


This morning, when they awoke they were greeted in the kitchen by a counter full of apple pastry. I think they are glad they went on their excursion.

Apple Pie by the Yard
Find the recipe at Mennonite Girls Can Cook

14 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! (o:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tracy,
    I gave up on trying to read blogs last night, as blogger wouldn't allow me access to my site. I wanted to leave a comment on the dress you made....it's very pretty and I love the styles you are making these days.
    This dessert also looks delicious. My mom has an apple tree that is loaded down this year, so I'll be making apple butter soon.
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Lovella's recipe blog ... gotta love it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well goodness... everytime I visit your blog you have something delicious to share! you are so creative. How do you do it all?!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful treat to wake up to...you go mom...
    ~~deby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely Scrumptious!

    blessings,

    mari

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really yummy and while I don't really care for apple pie as a dessert, I do enjoy an apple pastry in the morning for breakfast. How nice that you were able to use the apples that would have otherwise rotted in the street-
    Thank you for sharing the link to the Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog-I've bookmarked it too so I can visit it again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm...what a lovely thing to wake up to! How very satisfying for each one of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy!! I just made apple pie yesterday for my family and its already gone lol.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that looks delicious! What a nice morning surprise.
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh this simply made my mouth water... yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tracy - good idea and good use of apples. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is wonderful! What a fabulous treat out of what would have been left to rot. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy