
The last few months of 2009 were spent with me analyzing our food choices. I've always cooked mostly from scratch, but I'd buy some convenience foods like cereal and the occasional Pop-Tarts. No more!
My husband has been quite supportive, except when I pass by the ice cream aisle in the grocery store. The children don't mind eating organic, but I wasn't about to pay $5 for organic toaster pastries, so I decided to make my own.


I found a recipe in The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion, and gave it a whirl yesterday afternoon. The result? Perfection!
They were time consuming, but I only ever bought Pop-Tarts about 3 times a year, and the effort was well worth knowing exactly what went into them. Our New Year's Day started off with some fun, but healthier food. That feels like a good beginning to me!

I never buy them - they get them at Grandma's though! I never even thought about making them! I am going to check it out because I would be like the most awesome mom in the world, if I made them pop tarts!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link and the idea!
These look good, thanks for sharing the recipe! My kids love poptarts, and I only buy them like once or twice a year. I'll have to make these, and get them to help!
ReplyDeleteThey look delicious, good for you!
ReplyDeleteI wish you and your family a very blessed and happy New Year!
~Michele
Going to the kitchen right now to give them a try.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
Those look great! I love Pop-Tarts, and like Mrs. Rabe, I've never thought about making them. Thanks for the idea!
ReplyDeletedefinitely looks like something you could make and freeze
ReplyDeleteThese look better than the store-bought ones and I'm sure they taste much better as well.
ReplyDeleteWishing you and your family a very happy and healthy new year!
When my children were home they would have thought I was the greatest Mom in the world if I had made them some of these!!
ReplyDeleteAt least now you KNOW what's inside and I'm sure yours taste a lot better :o)
Blessings in the new year Tracy :o)
OH MY GOODNESS!! I LOOOOOVE Pop
ReplyDeleteTarts!!! But I NEVER buy them because, holy moly, I'd eat the whole box myself!!! I'm pretty sure my family would about faint if I made these! Thanks for the heads up about the cookbook! I will definitely look into this today!!!
His,
Mrs. U