Friday, February 15, 2008

Show and Tell Friday: A Case for Crochet

Show and Tell

Welcome to Show and Tell Friday. To participate, head over to Kelli's House.


A fabric store that is local to us sells sheets and pillowcases by the pound. Some are more expensive than others. It all depends on the thread count. On an outing several months ago, I picked up several interesting pillowcases. Not for the sake of the pillowcases, but because I liked the fabrics, and thought I could transform them.


UFO's or WIP's. No matter what you call them, I have lots! This week, I decided I was going to start AND finish this project that had been formulated in my brain for some time now. I wanted to make a case for my crochet hooks and knitting needles. The pillowcase that I found looked like it had been knitted, but it's just a very high thread count cotton!


I started by ripping out all of the seams to this pillowcase. Then I cut the pillowcase in half. I used fleece to line it, and interfaced some coordinating fabric for the pockets, making it very sturdy.

The case folds in thirds...


I machine quilted a flap that folds over the inside contents, insuring that they won't fall out the top. The quilting makes the flap less bulky so that it will lay flatter.


I made sure there were a few larger compartments for holding scissors, a stitch gauge, and a ring full of stitch markers.

I was unsure of how to hold it all together, but decided to sew these buttons on the cover. They had a similar look to the knitting pattern on the cotton. I then used a silky brown ribbon to wrap around the buttons and tie in a bow.


all opened up...the outside view

...the inside view

I even had time to learn how to make flowers and granny squares. Woo hoo!


I'm really enjoying crochet, but learning from a book is HARD! Autumn's friend let her borrow this book and it really helped with the granny squares. If you're wanting to learn crochet, I'd highly recommend that you start with this book. It's written more clearly than anything else I've seen and has excellent illustrations.

And guess what? I still have another half of the pillowcase. I may make a separate case just for knitting.

Thanks for stopping by today!

post signature

36 comments:

Karen said...

How cool is that pillowcase/needle case! It really does look as if it's knit. You're very smart in making something so useful. I'm still trying to learn how to make those flowers for my knitted hat. Yours look much, much better than mine. I need to look for this book.
Nice work, Tracy!

j said...

Wow Tracy, you are REALLY talented! The case was a novel idea. Thanks for sharing - Jen

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like this show and tell.

Leah said...

wow! you did an incredible job!!!!! and i love that fabric..i really thought it was knitted tell you said it wasn't!

~~Deby said...

You are just *toooo* clever...all that talent in ONE Lady....What a great case...are you going to make them for your shop?
Great job on the crocheting...
wish you were my neighbor...
Deby
the button you chose looks great

Anonymous said...

i was just looking at needle cases at our local yarn shop, thinking to myself how fairly easy it would be to make one myself. then you make one - and it's beautiful! i especially love the little crochet ditties you fashioned and included. sets the tone just right.

you should make a few for your etsy shop. ;o)

Hootin Anni said...

Absolutely terrific!!! I crochet....now I WANNA make me one. Yours turned out very nicely.

My Show N Tell is shared, if you haven't stopped by I hope you will; for a visit.

ellen b. said...

Oh Girl! Look at you..
What a wonderful creative thing you designed and made. Well done. I'm so impressed with people who can do these things....

Abounding Treasures said...

The case is beautiful and your "craftiness" is amazing! Thanks for sharing your ideas as well.

I love crocheting although I don't do anything too complicated :-)

BTW - I've REloaded my S&T photos so they SHOULD work now!

Blessings,
Mrs M

Cheryl said...

You should sell those on etsy or ebay, you do super work!

Susan said...

You are one talented gal, Tracy, and you have the "eye" to see things!!! Great idea and finished project.
Susan

Barbara H. said...

Wow!! You are so creative and talented!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Unknown said...

Tracy that pillow case is so beautiful. You are right, I thought you had knitted it on first look. Lovely!

And speaking of clever ... I would say you are awfully clever yourself. I've seen those cases around on blogs but never tried one. Hmmmm. Thinking.

Nora Lee said...

How neat is that!?! You remind me of my sister, she can see a piece of fabric and the next thing you know it is transformed into something beautiful, just like you did! Great job.

Sandra

Rebecca said...

I actually thought you knit that case. How cool that they sell them by the pound!! You did a beautiful job. I'm going to have to check into that book. I've always wanted to know how to knit and crochet and there's no one here to teach me!! You did a beautiful job.

Dalyn said...

That is fabulous! Wish I could do things like that *U* I just milk goats and make cheese and soap in my cute aprons *U* (for my husband)

My daughter does the sewing, knitting, and crotcheting. I think I am officially inspired...I'll let her teach me! I want to make stuff like you!

Jean Marie Bibby said...

Tracy!
Oh my what a great case! It's much better than my freezer zippy bag that houses my hooks. :-)

HUGS!!!
Jean Marie

nannykim said...

Way to cool; great idea. I am always forgetting where I have placed mine etc. Are you going to consider making some for etsy? The material looks knitted! the buttons are a very pretty touch

Karen said...

This is so clever, Tracy! Making a case for my needles and hooks is on my list of projects to do someday, too. I'm definitely going to come back to your posts on this for inspiration when I do! Thank you! :-)

mrsjojo said...

All I can say is WOW!! I love the pattern and the usefulness of the project!!
Yes, the cookie had Mackenzie written on it. My one and only grandbaby is named Mackenzie and so this cookie was made for her!

cherished*vintage said...

Fantastic needle case! I wish we had a fabric store that sold pillow cases by the pound - that's so cool! I just checked out your recipe blog, and now I'm off to make black bean burritos for lunch - yummy!
-Karoline

Constance said...

I am COMPLETELY impressed! Some people are really creative! I really thought it was knitted, never would've guessed it was cotton fabric!
Connie

Anonymous said...

It's so lovely, what a great job you did.

Blessings.

Gena said...

That is amazing! I'm still trying to see that pillowcase really, really close-up. I can't believe it isn't knitted. You did a beautiful job on your needle holder.

JEWELGIRL said...

This would be lovely for
jewelry or silverware also.
Lot of hard work on it I'll
bet, very niely done!

Stacie said...

Wow, Mrs. K,
That is so cool! =)

Anne-Marie said...

This is great! I have the one my Grandma made for herself fifty or so years ago. I love to use it. It's totally useful. Yours has way better colors than hers though (shuddering - think shag orange and brown).

Rose of Sharon said...

That is uncanny! It looks so real like someone knitted it! Amazing! You did beuatiful work, I just love your case!

:0) Sharon

mistyeiz said...

gosh tracy! that's SO creative. :) good on u n it really is gorgeous. :) thanks for sharing n stopping by.

mistyeiz
http://www.mistyeiz.com/2008/02/15/show-tell-cuckoo-over-birds/

nancy said...

That looks gorgeous and functional as well. The ones I have the most trouble storing are the circular knitting needles. Let me know if you come up with an idea for those.
Nancy

Beemoosie said...

You are SEW creative, girl!!! I love it, and I thought you crocheted the case when I first saw the picture!!!

Marci said...

That is really neat. You did a GREAT job.

Kelli said...

That is the neatest case and it's beautiful too! What a neat project for a pillow case!
Hugs,
Kelli

han_ysic said...

Can you tell me the pattern for making that flower. I tried to make one and made my own pattern, but yours is much prettier.
Hannah

Sharon said...

You are SO creative! That pillowcase looks like it was knitted! Your crochet flowers are very nice too. You are doing just fine on the crochet!

Gretchen said...

Hi,

I'm over via His Girl. I recently re-learned to knit and have been trying to teach myself to crochet, as well, since I hear it's so fast, and I love to have something to do with my hands while I watch TV. I'll have to look for that book.

Blessings.