Friday, April 18, 2008

Good Morning, Glory!


Ever since I can remember, this is how Grandma has greeted me in the morning. She says that her grandfather said the same to her when she was young. Some days though, I say, "Good morning, Grandma!" for her to grumble back, "What's so good about it?" Truthfully, I feel the same way at times, I just don't express it that way. At least she's honest!


The weather has been beautiful here. The temperature has been in the high 70's during the afternoons, and then dips to the 40's at night. Perfect, in my opinion!


My friend Jennifer called me yesterday afternoon to let me know that Lowe's had marked some of their flowers down. The children and I made a trip to town to check out the sale. We came home with a small variety to add to our garden. Each child likes something different; I always give in to their requests. Mac likes yellow snapdragons. Ever since he was a wee boy, he called them "scrambled egg flowers". Autumn loves zinnias, and we buy packages of seeds for her to plant. Collin adores petunias. He just loves the way that they "suck up your nose" when you smell them. Abigail likes pansies. I tried to tell her that they might fade quickly in the heat, but that we would try to find a shaded spot for them.


When we arrived home last evening, everyone was anxious to get planting. Collin worked on the petunias, arranging them in arced, colored rows like a rainbow. The girls planted geraniums. This morning Collin, Abigail, and I weeded our biggest flower bed, and planted. It was a good morning, Glory!

The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever. Isaiah 40:8



9 comments:

Gena said...

Your flowers are beautiful! Don't you just love springtime?

Jennifer said...

I'm with Abigail... I'm holding on for my pansies as well. Maybe these chilly nights will help them out a wee big longer!

Your floweres are beautiful! I love spring!

~~Deby said...

Can I be jealous of your weather and I fear if we put flowers out they would not last right now.
they are predicting SNOW of all things for this Seattle'ish area...don't they know...we only do RAIN.....
Lovely flowers and a good deal it sounds like too.
Deby

randi said...

We had about 6 inches of snow yesterday, so planting is still a while off. For now I will enjoy your garden! ;)

sherry said...

We're having similar weather although a bit of an overcast is coming in, which I actually prefer. :o)

Your new flowers are lovely. Springtime brings so much alive, doesn't it?

Kittee said...

Those flowers are just simply beautiful. I remember when I was a little girl when spring would come my mother would take us to the feed store or garden store and we would pick out flowers to plant. It was truly wonderful time well spent, digging int he dirt together, the earthy smells, the soft flower petals, I would not trade those memories for anything in the world. Thank you for sharing your joy with your children with us.

Many Blessings,
-Kittee

Patricia said...

Oh, you have flowers?! I am spittin' jealous... how I long for spring! The pictures are beautiful and I can almost touch the colorful flowers...
Patricia

Abounding Treasures said...

Your flowers are beautiful and I'm enjoying them as it'll be awhile before we can plant anything in our neck of the woods.

Across the kitchen and dining area side of my house I have several bleeding heart shrubs and I was really excited the other day to see them "just" beginning to peek their little heads above the soil though :o)

Dallas

His Girl said...

Love spring. Love these pictures... love all the flowers. Love the kind of mom you are. your kids will have the best memories.