Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Staycation

Verne is on vacation this week, but we are staying home. Ahhh... just the way I like it! Not that I don't enjoy going away, but there is something very relaxing about not having to pack. We've been getting plenty of sleep, and I've been getting lots of kisses from my beloved sprinkled throughout my day.

I've been admiring these late hydrangeas in my front flower bed and decided to cut a bunch for the table. I was unaware until I looked it up on the internet that this is the color that they need to be before you attempt drying them. Too late. I already placed them in water. That's fine. I'll enjoy the fresh green color while it lasts.

We put an above ground pool in at the end of May, and have been getting swim time in nearly every day. Abigail and Collin are practically ready to jump in as soon as they wake up in the morning.

I generally wait until after lunch when the water nears 86 F.

Splash!
I sat at the dining room table this morning, and played lifeguard through the sliding glass door while I worked on crocheting a hat. I've had to rip it out about a billion times, but it's going well now. I needed total quiet for counting, and it seemed that I'd get to the middle of a row when someone would walk up to me and start a conversation. Perhaps this is a lesson in patience?


Verne worked in his gardens this afternoon, and I walked out to admire his work. There is such beauty in the garden!


Laundry has to be done even on vacation!

And it smells heavenly when it's brought inside.

Verne harvested two cabbages for supper, and was kind enough to cook, too!

Onions in the garden
You can find the delicious recipe for this three ingredient meal at Mama's Fixins.

Cabbage, Bacon, and Noodles.

And because he's always so sweet to me, I made Verne Hot Fudge Cake for dessert.

14 comments:

God's Girl said...

I absolutely love the name of your blog!

It is a great truth to live by!

All for Jesus,
Julie

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful "staycation" ;)

mari

Anonymous said...

I love those type of 'staycations'. We did one in the spring, have fun! (o:

Terri said...

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Some of our best vacations have been ones where we just stay home!

Karen said...

Have a wonderful "staycation" there! Sometimes we do that also, and it's more relaxing.
I'm like you when it comes to working a pattern in my knitting. I have to keep count and track of my pattern, so it has to be quiet here too. Usually, that's not the case, though, and I end up pulling out stitches, too. ;o) Such is the life of a mother, huh?!
Enjoy!

His Girl said...

I think your staycation sounds quite delightful!

Enjoy your family and keep us posted.

btw, love the clothespin shot! fab!

(happy anniversary, too!)

Autumn said...

That hot fudge cake was amazing!!!

Abounding Treasures said...

Hope you continue to enjoy every moment of your *staycation*!

If you are experiencing as many hot days as we are, that pool must be treasured by everyone!

I'd love to see a photo of the crocheted hat when you're done and the garden and clothesline shots were fabulous.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit this afternoon :o)

Dallas

Susan said...

Sounds like a wonderful, relaxing time of pure enjoyment.
Susan

Sharon said...

I love staycations! We have them frequently. ;-)

Tracy said...

Your stay at home break sounds absolutely lovely.

I know this is silly...but I love your barn!!!!!!

Jennifer said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!

Our computer has been giving us some trouble, so I'm just now catching up on you.

I'm so glad that you are enjoying your 'staycation'. We always seem to cram in all kinds of work when we take vacation and stay at home. It never really feels like a vacation in the end.

That pool looks so refreshing! I'm sure you've really enjoyed it this hot summer.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Spending a few free days at home is *the best*! Who said vacation must include travel?

I'm having similar struggles with crochet. I've been trying to make a kippa for my husband for ages and just never get the curve right. Oh well. I'll just keep trying.

Short Stop said...

I loved this picture update. Your photos are beautiful.

And, that hot fudge cake looks AMAZING. I'm going over to check out the recipe now!

Looks like you're having some wonderful days at home...just like I like them, too! :)