Monday, December 3, 2007

Hot beverage, anyone?


Every year, I head to the store and come home with an armful of ingredients that will make enough mix to last us through the winter. These mixes are convenient to have on hand for your own family, and visitors to your home, but they also make excellent gifts.

You may have your own hot chocolate recipe, or you may buy the pre-measured packages from the grocery. I'd encourage to make your own, as the saving is significant. This recipe is well received by all who try it.

Instant Hot Chocolate Mix

* 1 (8 quart) box nonfat dried milk (you may choose to buy a bigger box if it's cheaper, in this case, measure out 10 2/3 cups)
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* 7 oz. non dairy creamer (Cremora)
* 1 lb. Nestle's Quik (if you buy a bigger container measure out 2 3/4 cups)
*1 small box instant chocolate pudding

Stir dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Store in a sealed container.
To make 1 cup of cocoa, mix 1/3 cup of mix per 1 cup of boiling water.


I'm sure that many of you have seen hot chocolate mix presented in a cute way for sale in your local market. Have you looked at the price? I've seen a cone of Hot Cocoa go for $6! No, thank you! Here's how to make your own:





You'll need your hot chocolate mix, chocolate chips, and marshmallows. You also need disposable cake decorating bags. These can be found at your local craft store, candy supply shops, or even Wal*Mart.


















Fill a bag about half full with the cocoa mix. Twist tie it shut.



















Place the bag with the cocoa inside another bag. Top it with chocolate chips, and marshmallows. Tie it shut. Attach curly ribbon and a gift tag.













Beautiful!








Here's another mix that we love:
Russian Tea

* 3 cups sugar or granulated artificial sweetener such as Splenda
* 2 cups orange flavored instant breakfast drink (Tang)
* 1 cup unsweetened instant iced tea
* 1 tsp. cloves
* 1 tsp. cinnamon
* 1 tsp. nutmeg

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place 2 rounded tablespoons of mix in a mug. Fill the mug with boiling water, and stir well. Dry mix may be kept in a well sealed container.

This would be pretty in a glass jar with an instruction tag attached, or you could make a cone from this as well.

21 comments:

Kelli said...

Thank you for the mix recipe, Tracy! We buy the little packets and they start to add up! I love the hot chocolate cones you made..so cute!
Kelli

Karen said...

How cute and festive! I make my hot cocoa mix the same, except I've never added the pudding mix. I'll have to do that this year!
Russian tea is also a favorite around here. My mom's made this since I was a little girl. I started adding a new ingredient a few years ago after I read Emilee Barnes' recipe that adds cinnamon red hots to the mixture. It's very tasty, too.

randi said...

This is so cute! I am loving all of these recipes and ideas lately, tracy!

Paula said...

I saw these too and thought "I need to do that!" I am SO GLAD for your little tutorial! I never would have figured out about wrapping the hot cocoa separately before putting it in. But I would guess that was necessary to keep it looking pretty. SO GLAD for your tutorial! I saw some that had peppermint and other flavorings. It looked too fun!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Very cute! I think it would make a neat little gift.

Momma Roar said...

I've seen these and I think they are sooo cute - thanks for the how-to! I have to admit, I received one last year for Christmas from one of my Sunday School students - it was too pretty to open, lol!

Beck said...

That mug of hot chocolate at the of your post looks DELICIOUS!

Cherish the Home said...

Thank you for the hot chocolate recipe, I'm going to have to try it soon. (o:

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Christy said...

The cone is such a good idea! I make a similar hot chocolate and you are right, the savings are HUGE.
I will have to make those cones, what a cute gift!

~~Deby said...

This is such a clever idea...and it looks so cute..thanks for sharing...
Deby

Lori said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing the gift idea and the hot cocoa recipe.
I will be swiping the recipe.
We love hot chocolate.

Tamera said...

Tracy,

Thanks so much for the measurements in the cocoa mix! I have my grandmother's old recipe and I didn't know the measurements. Also, I think I'm going to try the instant chocolate pudding to make it a little more cholaty.

Jodi said...

Oh, those hot chocolate cones are so cute. At JR's yearly banquet (held in late winter) they always make these as table favors to take back to the hotel room with you. Very nice! ;o) What a fabulous gift idea for SS teachers! :o)

Gena said...

Thank you so much for that cocoa recipe! I also love the way it is packaged. I have seen those and they are VERY expensive.

I also make peach tea mix at Christmas. I will have to share that recipe.

nannykim said...

Cute ideas . Oh your tea cozy thingies are very pretty tooooooo.

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Oh, goodness! That mix sound so easy, I might just be able to make it! The cone is so lovely, too.

You're so creative. Thanks for sharing all of these lovely ideas!

I like to buy the Mexican Hot Chocolate wedges... a bitter, strong chocolate. Each container holds several rounds, each with four? wedges I believe, individually wrapped in paper. These are fun to present with powdered candy canes to mix in with whipped cream and dollop on top of your Mexican hot chocolate!

Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

Thanks for the recipes. I've been wanting to make up a mix for the upcoming cold weather!

Angi said...

Great Ideas! I think I'll use the hot chocolate bags for some of my kids camp counselors!

Jennifer said...

Your hot cocoa cones look prettier than the ones I've seen for $6 as Cracker Barrel!

I will definltey try your mix recipe. We usually just buy the premade packets, but you are right... those add up $$$.

Hope you are having a wonderful week!

Sharon said...

Last year I started making my own hot chocolate mix. The only difference in your recipe and mine is I used granulated sugar and cocoa. I think I'll try it with powdered sugar this year. Glad I saw your post before mixing up my huge batch!! :-)

Darcy said...

This looks like a great recipe. I've never saw one that calls for the chocolate pudding mix but I think it sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it!