Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mod Girl



While I prefer the styles from the forties and fifties, Autumn loves the sixties and seventies. When we found this pattern from 1969, we agreed that she should have a dress made from it.



I chose the fabric without her, knowing that she'd at least like the colors. This fabric is actually a forties print, but I think it lends itself well to this particular dress. She was thrilled when she saw it, and couldn't wait for me to get started.


The dress took me longer than it should have because there were some very tricky seams, but I'm thrilled with the way it turned out.

I lengthened the dress just a bit to make it more modest. Ahhh... the wonderful thing about sewing! You get to wear the styles you want, and make them suitable to your tastes!

Autumn seems pretty happy about it, too!

21 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm so glad to see added length to the style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is so pretty and on a pretty young lady!! :)

    I need to get back into sewing. I've been saying that for a long time and not sure what's holding me back. I think it's my too basic knowledge of the art. I can follow a pattern, but when it comes to customizing the fit, I get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *love* this dress! I'm with you Tracy, I prefer the styles of the 40's and 50's but this dress is just lovely. I really like the detail on the sides (at the waist).

    Blessings,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job. What a fun fabric and it looks wonderful on her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute pattern! I like those colors, too. The seams do look tricky -- great job on those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is sooo Adorable,wish I new how to sew for my girls. Its so hard to find conservative dresses. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Tracy, you did a marvelous job! Autumn looks quite beautiful wearing such a chick dress.

    I am so glad to have found another sewer, yay (o:

    mari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey that's a great dress, BRAVO!!
    Love the colors!
    She looks great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your girls are just gorgeous. Autumn looks very proud of her new dress and Abigail just shines with her new do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! Cute!
    You are so talented!
    Great print too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mrs. K,

    Autumn's dress is adorable! You did a really good job on it! Autumn looks really thrilled with it! It looks really good on her! I love 60's and 70's styles too! But, I guess you assumed that, since Autumn and I are so much alike. lol The colors and styles are just so cute back then. I have been fixing my hair kind of 60's.

    See you!
    -Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable!!! I wore many like that in the past. They called them "A" line styles.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh that is snazzy! you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tracy,
    Oh this is so cute...the fabric..the way it looks on her...well it helps because she is a cutie....
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great dress and perfect fabric!

    Autumn, you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very bright and colorful dress. Perfect for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that dress! Your sewing abilities are excellent, Tracy.

    I have a few patterns from the 40's and would have to alter them greatly in order to fit my frame. But ding ding ding, Lizzie would fit just fine. Now why didn't I think of that earlier? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great dress, Tracy! And Autumn looks so pretty wearing it! And I love Abigail's new haircut, too! So sweet! And I so agree with you about the freedom to alter as we choose when we make our own clothes. That's one of the number one reasons for my love of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are such a fun mom--she looks adorable in her dress:) Great material.

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! So pretty!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me and leave a comment. Blessings,
Tracy