Saturday, May 12, 2007

Happy 83rd Birthday, Grandma!

Oh, what an exciting weekend it has been! We've been anticipating this for months, and the time finally arrived. Grandma turned 83 today. I invited her children to come for the weekend. My Uncle Allan, his wife, Karin, and my cousin Tania arrived Friday afternoon.

I had envisioned their arrival with Grandma sitting in her room, and them sneaking in to say hello. That isn't at all the way that it worked out. Gram was sitting on the front porch reading a book when the car pulled into the drive. She briefly looked up, and went right back to her book. She thought that Verne was bringing someone home for dinner as he has done before, and paid no attention to the occupants of the vehicle. As they exited the car, and approached the front steps, Gram looked up again. "Well, I'll be darned!" she exclaimed. There were many tears and hugs that followed. I really tried to capture the moment, but I was unsuccessful as I was caught up in the excitement, the hugs, and tears.

We had a delightful evening visiting with one another. Gram was overjoyed. The children played their instruments and sang for us all. They enjoyed talking with these relatives that they had only heard about.This morning, Gram was up bright and early. She had trouble sleeping last night because her mind was reeling from the day's activities. She enjoyed the Happy Birthday song before she even had breakfast.Uncle Allan insisted on treating us to lunch out, and we frequented the restaurant where Mac works. Mac waited on us, and cooked our food. We had a great time gathered around the table.

We spent the afternoon playing games, and talking. It was so wonderful to see my cousin Tania. The last time I saw her was the day I got married. That was almost 18 years ago. She was so sweet to spend time talking to each of my children, trying to get to know them as well as possible in 24 hours. Oh, how nice it would be if we all lived closer...

After supper, we celebrated with an ice-cream cake. And of course we sang a stirring rendition of Happy Birthday. Uncle Allan played chess with the children, teaching them strategies that were previously unknown to these novice players. Gram looked very satisfied to be in the midst of her family.Tania won't be here tomorrow as she has to drive 3 1/2 hours back to the airport, and then fly to her home in Florida. It was a sweet, brief time with her. I hope that Gram sleeps well tonight. I know that she is tired from all of the extra activity. We'll lavish her with more love as we celebrate Mother's Day.


I hope that wherever you are, you cherish your family and enjoy them. Have a wonderful Mother's Day. May the Lord bless each of you!

5 comments:

Trella said...

How wonderful! Looks like everyone had a great time. Happy Birthday to your grandmother.

Trella

Betty said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your grandmother! Sorry I didn't get around to reading blogs earlier...
How blessed you all are.....Betty

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday, Gram!!!!
Tracy, you totally caught her excitement and shock in the first picture. It is perfect!!! I am sorry I didn't get to hear all about the party at church today, but am glad to read how well it went. I am so happy for all of you!!!

Lori said...

I liked this slide show.
Thanks for sharing your mom's birthday with us. It looks like everyone had a fun time.

Momma Roar said...

It sounds like it was a perfect time for everyone!! :) Wish your Grandma a belated Happy Birthday from me!