Saturday, January 12, 2008

Housecleaning

Today is a work day. Dusting. Sweeping. Scrubbing. Polishing. Washing. Ironing. And then, perhaps, a little sewing or crocheting. Busy, busy.

Upon our trip to the library this week, I came across the wonderful book, Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House, by Cheryl Mendelson. I was happy to read the following:

Vacuum Last!
There is a small but fierce debate about whether
you should dust before vacuuming or vacuum before dusting.
The answer is that you should dust first.
The "floors first" rule is simply outmoded.
Before there were vacuum cleaners, floors and carpets and rugs
were often swept with brooms or carpet sweepers that raised a terrific dust.
Housewives therefore did their floors first
(laying cloths over everything else in the meantime),
for if they had dusted first, they would have had to do it again
after the dust from sweeping settled.
Today you do not raise dust when you vacuum.
(If you do, perhaps you should look into a new vacuum.)
And if you spill dust on upholstery and floors while dusting,
you can remove it when you vacuum.


YES! I've been doing it right all along!

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Cleaning!

I love a clean house, it just makes me smile.... and I always vacuum last too! Woo

Gena said...

I love that book! I happened to find a copy at Goodwill and it came home to live with me.

Have a wonderful cleaning day and a beautiful Sunday in your tidy home.

Mimi said...

I always vacuum last and it is good to know that that is indeed the correct way...

Momala said...

After being out since this morning, I need to get all my cleaning done too! My husband is working on the garage, and I have the rest of the house. It's all because my in-laws are coming over tomorrow. It's so sad that it takes having guests for me to get my house really clean!

Anyway, I love that book too. I've had it for years and I'm thinking I need to pull it out and read it again.

Kelli said...

I love that book too and I always vacuum last. :0) Have a great work day!
Hugs,
Kelli

Beck said...

I'm glad to know that I'm doing things in the right order, but what is this "dusting" thing she speaks of? :)

Cherish the Home said...

I received this book for Christmas and have enjoyed it tremendously!(o:

Beach Girl said...

Thank you for your prayers Tracy. We're taking each day as it comes. Second's attitude/mood tends to swing, but I am seeing some positive ones. I pray God will grab hold of his heart and bring him back to where he once was.

I am looking so forward to the move for so many reasons. Please continue to lift us up as I need it desparetly. Moving is hard enough by itself but with everything else going on, I'm beat at the end of each day.

Vanessa

Short Stop said...

Glad to know I'm doing it right, too!

Darlene said...

Glad you found that...i've always held to the dust first method - and it's nice to know that I'm in good company!! You should mention that the same goes for wiping tables/counters in the kitchen before sweeping the floor...just in case you're a bit careless with the contents of the cloth;-)!! One of my pet peeves, i guess!

Tina Leavy said...

stopping by to say"howdy" hope you have a good week.

Sharon said...

Ha!Ha! I knew I was right!! I've always dusted first and vacuumed last. When my hubby and I married he asked me wasn't I suppose to dust last? The mystery is solved! ;-)

Lori said...

I've heard that before.
Problem is some weeks I don't dust. Hehe!!