Friday, June 19, 2009

Taking Wing

Photo by Abigail

The days are slipping by at a rapid pace, and try as I might to slow the time, it isn't working. So much to do. So much that needs said.

When you're a mother of young children, the days sometimes seem long, and it often feels like they'll never grow up. But they do. Oh, how quickly, they do. Before you know it, they're spreading their wings and learning to fly. Sometimes, it makes my eyes grow moist. And other times I sit back, and take pleasure in the flight.

This week Collin has been absent from our home. He was selected to attend a week long Entrepreneurial Leadership Institute. He calls regularly and talks to each person in our family. Many nights Abigail has already been in bed, but he called her at lunchtime on Wednesday because he missed her. A 14 year old boy missing his sister; hmmmm. What a delightful young man! He's also called Jon several times. Yes, family is important to him.

Mac leaves for college two months from today. He's been working 40+ hours a week, but took Abigail on a "date" Tuesday afternoon. They bowled two games and then went to Steak and Shake for dinner. She was on cloud nine. So was I. My heart feels like bursting as I watch my two young men treating their younger sister with respect.

"I love you" is not used sparingly around here. I'm not the only one whom feels our family changing and the need to hold tightly to those around them.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Ah family. Great post.
Susan

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

My heart wants to burst with joy hearing your young men's sweet care and thoughtfulness of their younger sister...so precious Tracy. You must be very proud of them all.

Kristy said...

SO precious. I really enjoy reading how your children cherish and appreciate each other. I've mentioned before that that is exactly how my sisters and I were raised. Now, we're mostly all married and raising daughters, we are all girls here!, of our own, trying to teach and guide them in the ways of the Lord. My sister who was just married 2 months ago is planning a girls get-together, just because we miss each other. Thank you for your post. It encourages my heart, to know there are like-minded families "out there" and to keep keeping on with my girls in this challenging toddler stage. Before I know it, they'll be like your Autumn and Abigail, Lord willing!

Becky K. said...

What a wonderful blessing!

We were so pleased that our 18 year old was happy to be home after a fun week with his Uncle.

Seeing our children love their siblings is such a joy.

Short Stop said...

Oh, Tracy!

You are always so encouraging to us younger Moms. Thank you!!!

The way you and Verne have raised your kids is so inspiring to me. Of all the things we are teaching the boys, teaching them to respect the women in their life is so very important to us.

I hope that my boys have a close and loving relationship like your children do - there really is just nothing in the world like a sibling!

Thinking of you during this time - so many changes, but SO much love!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing-you are very blessed!

Shannon Sinclair said...

Hi Tracy, I have perused your blog for a while and enjoy it. It is very heart touching. I can see the love you have for your family and the love your children have for you and each other.

Nanci said...

If we all just remembered that it is no quarantee that our loved ones always be close at hand, perhaps we would all be giving "special care & attention" to those we love.

You are so very right. . .our time together slips by MUCH too fast.

KUDOS to your boys

Abounding Treasures said...

What a precious post ~ such an inspiration for parents everywhere and especially in the day in which we live when in the world, things are often so different :o)

Blessings to all of you, Tracy!